Today machaneh engaged in a kupa asepha. An asepha is a discussion about a certain topic. Asephot can range from a half hour to many hours (normally reserved for more ideological topics). The kupa asepha is a discussion and explanation of what kupa is, how we use kupa at machaneh, why we use kupa and what kind of system of kupa we want to choose.
At machaneh we engage in kupa for ideological reasons. Habonim Dror is a socialist youth movement so we engage in practices and ways of doing things that are socialist and equal to everyone. For example, if an Amel didn’t have a toothbrush he could ask his madrich and kupa could be used to get one for him. Also, if not everyone could afford to go on a trip to a zoo, kupa is used to somewhat level the field and ensure everyone can participate and join. We like to engage in activities with the entire machaneh.
Kupa is a combined amount of money that is collected at the beginning of the summer. It is used in countless ways at machaneh. In the shirutim (bathrooms) there are kupa shelves where kids and madrichim can put their soap and other people can borrow and use it. This system of sharing ensures that if your soap runs out you can always use someone else’s. During medurah (bonfire) kupa treats are given out. These treats are purchased with kupa.
Here are all of the kupa systems that are offered to machaneh:
- Trickle Up (Amelim’s favorite)-kupa and kupa treats (candy) start with the Amelim and move up the shikvot (age groups) after the Amelim take what they want
- Trickle Down (Bogrim/Madatz favorite)-kupa and kupa treats start with the Bogrim and move down the shikvot after the Bogrim take what they want
- Cow Kupa-use all of the money given to kupa to buy a cow and use the milk for all of machaneh
- Dome Kupa-use all of kupa to build a dome around machaneh so weather and climate can be regulated and bugs can be kept out. As of now, it is unsure if the dome will be made out of glass, plastic or another material
- Open Kupa with option of Shikvah-all of kupa is used for the entire machaneh for things like a Kupa Trip and then some kupa is given to each shikvah
- Open Kupa with option of Tzrif v’Ohel-all of kupa is used for the entire machaneh for things like a Kupa Trip and then some kupa is given to each tzrif and ohel (cabin and tent)
Machaneh voted on what kind of kupa system we want to engage in and open kupa with option of tzrif v’ohel was chosen.